between Express and Custom configuration
In the Configuration wizard, you can choose from two paths to configure your
ServeRAID-8 series, ServeRAID-7t, or HostRAID controller:
- Click Express configuration for a quick and easy path for you to
automatically configure your controller. This path creates the most efficient
configuration based on the number and capacity of the ready physical drives
available in your system. If four or more ready drives of the same capacity
are available, this choice also will define a hot-spare
Express configuration does the following:
- Creates one logical drive, up to 2 terabytes (TB) maximum, by grouping
together same-sized physical drives.
Note: If the physical
drive size exceeds 2 terabytes (TB), Express configuration removes drives until the
size is less than 2 terabytes (TB). It creates an additional logical drive with the
- Assigns a RAID level based on the number of available physical drives:
- A logical drive with a single physical drive is created as a simple volume.
- A logical drive with two physical drives is assigned RAID level-1.
- A logical drive with three physical drives is assigned RAID level-5.
controllers, Express configuration creates a RAID level-1 logical drive.
- Designates a hot-spare drive for the controller. If four or more ready
drives are available, the largest drive will be designated the hot-spare
Note: When you
choose Express configuration, you have the opportunity to review and approve
the configuration before the ServeRAID Manager applies the configuration.
If you need to modify the configuration, you can do it from the configuration
- Click Custom configuration for a path that lets you manually configure
your controller. Choose this path to do any of the following:
When you are ready to continue, click Next.