Configuring a ServeRAID controller: the basic steps
The following steps are an overview of the ServeRAID configuration process:
- In the Enterprise view, click
(controller) that you want to configure.
- Right-click Create logical drive, or click
in the Logical devices view. The Configuration wizard opens.
- Click either Express configuration or Custom configuration:
If you select Express configuration, the ServeRAID Manager automatically:
If you select Custom configuration, the ServeRAID Manager walks you through:
- Creates one or more arrays, based on the number and size of ready physical
drives in your system.
- Defines a hot-spare drive, if four or more ready physical drives of
the same size are available.
- Defines a logical drive for each array.
- Selecting the physical drives that you want
to include in your arrays or create as hot-spare drives.
- Defining the logical drives for your arrays.
- Click Automatically initialize new logical drives.
Initializing a logical drive erases the first 1024 sectors on the
drive and prevents access to any data previously stored on the drive.
- Click Next; then, review the configuration
- Click Apply. The ServeRAID Manager will configure the controller
and initialize and synchronize the logical drives.
For HostRAID controllers, Express configuration creates
a single logical drive. Custom configuration allows you to select the physical
drives and segments used to define your logical drives.